Saturday, September 20, 2008

I literally can't stop laughing

My cousin Liz and her husband, Nate, had such a funny post on their blog about misused words and phrases. It reminded me of how Matt and I find it hilarious when people use the word "literally" but they don't really mean it, well, literally. It seems like people throw that word into a conversation in order to make a really strong point but if you think about it, it's just silly sometimes.

Example 1 - The other day, we were watching a football game (well, I was reading and Matt was watching) and the commentator said that the defense had "literally shot themselves in the foot" due to all the penalties they had gotten. Really? They actually got a gun and shot themselves in the foot?

Example 2 - When discussing the weather someone stated that it was "literally raining cats and dogs out there." That's just a funny mental picture.

Example 3 - "That car was going so fast. I mean, it was literally flying down the street!" Cool, I wish my car did that.

Example 4 - "That movie was terrifying. I was literally scared to death."


Anyway, you get the idea. I guess we're easily entertained.

5 comments:

Jillian said...

Oh awesome. I totally agree. Another of my favorites? People that use quotation marks incorrectly. "Thanks" for the birthday gift. Congratuations on your "wedding"...things like that. Makes me laugh EVERY time!

Courtney said...

you guys ARE easily entertained! But so was I when reading your post! Thanks for reminding us all how retarded people are some times. :) Hows the little one!?

shelly said...

I've noticed that too. Some people must not have paid attention during English class. Literally.

Anonymous said...

Emily! It's Calie! Wat up?!

Liz said...

I love it when I literally inspire blog entries. Literally. I also love that there are enough people in the world that don't quite get our language, cause I love to make fun. Literally.