A week ago I took Jackson back into the doctor and guess what? His ears were both infected again. Or still infected...I'm not sure which. I know, it's a shocker. So our doctor said to go ahead and make an appointment with an ENT to look at getting tubes. He also prescribed another antibiotic (that's five, if you're keeping track) in a last ditch effort to get the infection cleared up before the procedure. The pharmacy didn't even have Erythromycin in stock (is that a bad sign?) so we didn't get him started on it until Monday. It's not so fun. Tuesday we were able to get Jackson in with an ENT who looked at his ears and said neither was infected but there was some fluid in both. They tested his hearing and since that was not being affected at all, he recommended holding off on ear tubes since it seemed like this antibiotic was working. I'm glad that he wasn't all gung-ho about doing the surgery but I have a feeling that as soon as this antibiotic is done, we'll be right back where we started in March. Dr. Hunter (the ENT) wants to see us back in two months for a follow-up but I can pretty much guarantee that we'll never make it that long without another infection. I'm hoping for the best but as our pediatrician said, "the writing may be on the wall." We're hoping that if Jackson's ears get bad again. we will be able to get the procedure scheduled as soon as possible. Dr. Hunter told us he'll be gone for two weeks in June at Scout Camp (ick) so knowing our luck, it will happen then and we'll have to wait.
The part that makes me feel the worst is that I think Jackson has just gotten used to his ears hurting. He actually sleeps pretty well at night and isn't as grumpy as I would expect. Poor thing. I'm sorry buster, hang in there and we'll get those sweet ears figured out soon, I promise!