Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ugh...

Ear infections...aren't they just awful?! I feel like we've been battling this for weeks and weeks. Back in March, we took Jackson to the doctor and found out that both his ears were infected. Round 1 - Amoxicillin for 10 days. A week later, he was still grumpy and pulling on his ears so I took him back. Round 2 - Omnicef for 10 days. A week later he was STILL grumpy and not sleeping, so I took him back. Not all the way cleared up but not totally infected. Just fluid around both eardrums still and that was probably causing the discomfort. A week later...well, you know. I took him in again. Totally infected. Round 3 - Azithromycin for 5 days. That ended on Sunday. He has STILL been rubbing and pulling on his ears. But he was a little happier. A good sign but today I took him back, yet again, just to make sure. The doctor said they didn't look good. Not awful anymore but they just don't look "normal." So he wrote a prescription for Augmentin which I think is the last resort. Next step will be tubes in his ears if this doesn't work. I'm supposed to wait a few days and see if he is any better, if not, we'll start the Augmentin. Our doctor is great and I know he's doing his best to get Jackson's ears better. I told him that Jackson had actually been doing pretty well with all these antibiotics and he hadn't even had any diarrhea. The doctor said, "Well, don't worry. The Augmentin will take care of that!" Great.

Incidentally, Eliza has an ear infection now, also. Thank goodness it's almost the weekend. Let's all hope things get cleared up soon. I want my happy boy and girl back. I'm trying to have a positive attitude because truly, things could be MUCH worse. Here's hoping for better days!

4 comments:

Kim McCann said...

Emily, feed Jackson lots of yogurt (make sure it has live active cultures in it...yoplait is a good one) and that will totally help with the diarrhea...he'll most likely get it with the Augmentin. Don't be afraid of tubes...it sounds like he truly needs them. They will make a huge difference!

Emily said...

Thank you Kim!!

Isaac and Dallas said...

I am so sorry. Thats no really week after week. If you need anything please call

Kristy said...

Hang in there!! I know it is hard because both of our kids have ear infections on a regular basis. Makayla has had one set of tubes - looking for set #2 and Micah is on his way too. Tubes are not scary and really help them to get less ear infections and they are not as bad. Hopefully you are getting some sleep :o)