Saturday, September 3, 2011

Again!

In July we decided we needed to have Jackson start speech therapy. When I took him into the school for his health and hearing screening, he did not pass the hearing test. He couldn't hear the lower frequencies. When the audiologist looked in his ears she said that his tubes were all blocked with wax. I thought, great...how do you get ear wax out of a two year old's ears? When I took him to our ENT his nurse said to put drops in for a week and then bring him back. I did and after a week there was still no change. So she said to keep it up for two more weeks and then bring him back on a day when the doctor would be in the office so if it was soft enough, he could suction it out. I took him in on Monday and it turns out the ear wax is not ear wax after all. Hmm...that would have been helpful to know about two co-payments and two prescriptions ago.

The doctor said that sometimes it can look like ear wax. I'm not sure what's going on but either his tubes have shifted or just healed all wrong and they are not functioning anymore. I'm a little confused if it's skin or scar tissue but something has grown over the tube opening. No wonder he can't hear and is constantly rubbing his ears! So Thursday we are headed in for round 2 of tube surgery. UGH! The first time was a nightmare and I'm sure it will only be worse this time. They are going to remove the old tubes and if there is any fluid in there, they will place a new set. And if his adenoids are enlarged at all they will remove those also! So I took him in thinking we were going to suction out some ear wax and left with a surgery date. I can not believe we have to do this again. They told me with the adenoidectomy he has to sleep with his head elevated. How in the world am I supposed to do that? He's not going to sleep in a chair. I can prop his crib mattress up on one end but knowing how he sleeps, he'll end up with his feel elevated. I think these doctors tell you things without really thinking through HOW exactly you're supposed to do it.

My only hope is that this FINALLY solves his ear problems and that he will start hearing better and speaking. Poor little guy....I hate that we have to put him through it again. Oh, and because it's never just one thing with this kid, he also has two ingrown toenails that will probably need cut out soon.

We actually got a letter from our insurance questioning all the claims on Jackson lately! Let's hope this is the end! For his sake and mine.


1 comment:

Tai and Joe said...

I agree with what you said about Doc not really thinking it through. Kids move so much in their sleep it is next to impossible
I am sorry your little guy has to have it fixed again.
Our Jaxon has to have surgery on his hip, so I feel your pain. Hang in there and we will pray for your cute little guy.