Saturday, September 5, 2009

Football widow


In case you've never noticed, Matt loves BYU. And BYU football? Well, let's just say that 'love' may not be a strong enough word. He usually starts the countdown to college football season in June. So when it was announced that BYU would play their season opener against Oklahoma at the brand new Dallas Cowboys stadium in Texas, Matt started planning the trip. Admittedly, I wasn't as supportive as I could have been. I knew we would have a new baby and I wasn't thrilled about being left alone for four days with a newborn and a toddler. But I got as ready as I could and Matt, his dad, his two brothers, and uncle left Thursday morning and met up with three of his cousins in Dallas.

I have a new appreciation for single moms and moms whose husbands are in the military or just gone a lot due to work. It is so hard to wake up in the morning (and a few times during the night) and know that you're on your own for the rest of the day. I love my children very much but I also love when Matt comes home from work and I get a break. I shouldn't even complain because I really haven't been all alone. My mom was with me Thursday evening for dinner and stayed while I put Eliza down for the night and then I was with both my mom and dad for a few hours today. It's funny because as much as I want a break, when Eliza and Jackson are asleep for the night I feel lonely and the house is too quiet. I miss them while they are sleeping.

I'm excited for Matt to come home tomorrow and I know Eliza will be so happy to see her dad. Plus BYU BEAT OKLAHOMA!!! How great is that? Go Cougars! Matt is probably on cloud nine right now. He'll probably add the details of his trip later but I know he has had a ton of fun and the BYU win is just icing on the cake.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Ack! You should've called me-Matt now works 50 hours/week until 9pm so I had some free time!