Sunday, December 20, 2009

Grandma Burton

We lost my Grandma Burton last Saturday. She was 87 years old and she lived a very wonderful life. My Grandpa died 13 years ago so it's hard to be really sad because she's finally with him again. They have 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 35 great-grandchildren, and 1 great-great granddaughter. We had a nice funeral yesterday and almost everyone was there. It was nice to hear and share our fun stories and memories of Grandma. There are so many memories but since it's Christmastime, here are some things I remember about the holidays with Grandma and Grandpa.

We always went to their house in the afternoon on Christmas day.

Their tree was mostly decorated with little pictures of all their children and grandchildren.

The gifts we got from them were always homemade things. I remember getting loaves of bread and jam, a binder of all our ancestors and their personal histories, a book of piano music that my grandma loved to play that she thought I would like, a binder full of Christmas stories, and a journal.

I remember putting on the Christmas story one year. I played an angel I think.

Not Christmas related but Grandma's Applesauce Oatmeal cookies were always a favorite. I have a copy of her recipe written in her handwriting that I will always cherish. I think I'll make a batch soon but I'm sure they won't be as good.

One of the many things I admired about my Grandma is that she always remembered everyone's birthday. And when it got so she couldn't write birthday cards anymore she would ask that we call her on our birthday. She always wanted to know what we were doing and how our families were.

Grandma Burton was very special. She loved her family and prayed for them. I hope she felt all of our prayers in her behalf towards the end of her life. I truly feel so happy that she is with Grandpa again and I know that their example and teachings will always be with us. I feel blessed that I have had my grandparents in my life for so long. Many people don't. Six months ago my other grandma passed away but I knew both of them for so long. It's such a blessing to have a funeral and have it be more of a celebration of their life, rather than a sad occasion. That was the case with both of my grandmas. I love them and miss them but as long as we remember them and the things they taught us, they will always be near.

Grandma is home for Christmas. We love you!

These are some pictures from when Eliza was about 7 months old. I can't believe those are the most recent pictures I have of her but here is my sweet Grandma.




2 comments:

Jillian said...

Oh I'm so sorry Emily! But she's definitely in a better place.

You should frame her recipe-I love stuff like that.

Kristy said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. You should have all of your siblings write down memories like you did and make a book. You will be thankful for it later