Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy "Fore"th of July

So I don't claim to be a great golfer. On a good day, I will get a couple pars, several bogeys, and usually that one forgettable hole where I take a "gentleman's 8". Also, every once in a while, when all of the stars are aligned, I will get a birdie. Needless to say, I am not about to quit my job to focus on becoming a professional golfer. On the 4th of July, my dad invited me to go play golf with him and some of my uncles. We played out in West Jordan at a course called Mountain View. I have played there several times but this time it was completely different than every other time I have played there in the past. On hole #8, a short par 3 that only requires a pitching wedge and also borders a busy street, I put my ball down on the tee, took the club back, came through and blasted a high shot to the right of the hole. I thought I saw it come down right along the fence line and I went and put my club back in my bag. What happened next surprised all of us. We saw a grey Jeep Liberty pulled over on the side of the road just ahead of the stoplight. While driving in the golf cart approaching the green, a young lady got out of her car and said in somewhat shocked voice, "I think one of your golf balls, just hit my windshield." My heart dropped as my dad and I went to speak with her. Sure enough, her windshield had a huge crack that extended from the top to the bottom. I really didn't know what to do or how to handle the situation. I gave the girl my name and number (yes I did give her my real name) and she hasn't called yet. When she does call, I am sure that we will be out a good $200 to buy a new windshield. I know this will be my most expensive round of golf ever.


This is the actual golf ball that hit the window.



After the whole golf debacle, we went to Riverton Park with my family and had dinner. Eliza got a chance to ride a pony. She had a good time even though it was really hot. We then came home and went swimming to cool off and by 8 O'clock, Eliza was asleep and it was an average night at the McCann home.
Special thanks to Grandma McCann for paying the $2 for the pony ride. She can be seen in the background of the 2nd picture.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh! You have the funniest life stories EVER! :) Sorry about the window-- hope it didn't ruin the rest of your golf game.

Corpuz Family said...

Matt really enjoys golfing. It is one of his favorite hobbies besides fishing of course. We love you Matt!