Thursday, May 7, 2009

Miss Independent

I imagine all two year olds go through an independent stage but Eliza's seems to be on the extreme end of the spectrum. She is learning so many new things and it seems like everyday there is one more thing that she no longer wants help with. "I do it myself!" is probably the most common phrase heard around our house these days. It's good and bad. Good because by the time the new baby comes, she'll really be able to do a lot of things on her own but bad because it takes three times as long to go anywhere or do anything. Here are some examples of what she has to do on her own:

- climbing in her chair to eat
- pick out her own spoon/straw/bowl
- take off her pajamas
- take off her diaper
- pick out a new diaper and open the tape on it
- sometimes I can pick out her clothes but she's starting to want to do that. Polka-dots with stripes, anyone?
- get dressed (this includes her needing to put on every article of clothing by herself. Socks are tricky and her pants or shirt usually end up on backwards)
- IF she lets me do something with her hair, she picks out the barrette or elastic
- opening and closing the doors
- climbing in her car seat
- doing the buckles on said car seat
- when crossing a street or parking lot, she won't hold my hand, she holds her own hands. We're working on a way to fix this one
- walking up or going down stairs
- saying the dinner prayer
- brushing her own teeth (including putting the toothpaste on her toothbrush)
- putting her potty seat on the toilet
- pulling the plug in the bath
- picking out and putting on her own pajamas
- she says her own prayers, tells herself a story, and sings herself "I am a Child of God" every night. It really is priceless. I wish we could record it somehow but she probably wouldn't cooperate.

Anyway, basically everything. Matt and I are definitely getting a lesson in patience but we love her and are so thankful to have such a smart, healthy, loving little girl.



3 comments:

Aubrey Garff said...

sounds like our little Nora. If you try to do any of the above for her you get a huge scream out of her! I found a solution to the taking off of the diaper...I use the pins that we had with the cloth diapers and put them through the velcrow on the diaper and she can't get it off! YAY!

Kristy said...

Good Luck!! We are still in that stage and Makayla is 4! When she wont hold hands we will say "Hold Daddy's hand so he wont get lost" Sometimes it works and if she doesn't grab his hand Clint will wander off a little and she runs and gets him. We hear Let go of me!! If we try to grab her hand in a parking lot. If you get any good ideas let me know :o)

shelly said...

How cute! Girls must be different in that regard than boys, since Josh doesn't really care too much about all that stuff. I think her little bedtime routine that she does is so cute! I wish I could see her do that!