Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Grandma Wilson

Last Wednesday, my sweet 90 year old grandma passed away. We will all miss her so much but this was really a blessing for her. She got quite sick about a month ago and after a week or so in the hospital, she stayed at Care Source hospice which was such a beautiful place for her to spend her last weeks. It happened fast but we were all able to accept it and feel at peace with everything. We are all very thankful she didn't have to linger for months or years the way she was and we know that she is happy and with her loved ones who have gone on before.

We had the funeral on Saturday and it was wonderful. It was a sad, yes, but there were lots of fun memories shared and it was an uplifing and comforting day. My grandma and grandpa's 70th wedding anniversary was the day after her funeral. Amazing! They were married June 21, 1939 in the Salt Lake Temple. I know he misses her but is also relieved that she is no longer suffering. I think that the saddest thing about when people pass away is that they leave their eternal companions for a while. When his time comes, I know she will be waiting for him. Her whole life was one of service and compassion. Almost every memory I have of my grandma is of her doing something for somebody else. She was a very talented seamstress and I think she made every piece of clothing she ever wore. She loved gardening, golf, and being with her family. We were blessed to have my grandparents live very close by. We were in the same ward and Sunday dinners with them were a regular thing. Grandma was just always there. I'm glad Eliza was able to know her and hopefully she can retain some memory of her as she grows up.

I don't mean for this to sound like an obituary. I just wanted to acknowledge what an amazing woman my grandma was and say how thankful I am to have had her in my life for so long. She taught us all so much and we'll always remember her example. We love you and will miss you grandma!

This is Eliza with her great-grandma on Christmas morning 2007.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma but also glad she is no longer suffering. My thoughts & prayers are with you!

Our Family said...

She was such an amazing woman every time we saw her and your parents house!! She always would welcome us just like we were family.

shelly said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandma! That is so neat that you were so close with her, and those pictures of her with Eliza are just precious!

Aubrey Garff said...

Hey girl, I am so sorry for your loss. I met your grandma once, she was so nice. I am glad that you have such good memories of her. Love you!