Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Finally. A New Baby!!

Jackson Matthew McCann was born this morning at 5:16am. He weighed 9 pounds and 7 ounces and was 22 inches long. Here is the story of how things went down.
Last night was like any other night and Emily and I went to bed at 10:30. At around 3:30 Eliza woke up and walked in our room and just like every other time(there have been so many). I picked her up and put her back in her bed to go back to sleep. Just as I started to close my eyes I heard the words, "Ouch!" followed by the words, "I think my water just broke." I helped Emily get up and get into the bathroom and both of us had the thoughts of the baby coming, but we thought we might even be able to go back to sleep for a few hours before we went into the hospital. Then the contractions started, and there were many and they happened very often. Emily quickly called her mom and told her to rush out to our place to be with Zi. She arrived at about 4am and we had the car started and left for the hospital right as she pulled up to our house. I have never driven so fast in my life. Emily was in pain from the contractions occuring so often and said she had never felt that much pain in her entire life. At this time the contractions were only about 2 minutes apart and we said a special prayer that we would be able to make it to the hospital in time. I ran a red light and was doing around 90 mph on the freeway. It is a very good thing that there weren't many cars on the road and this is an advantage of going into labor in the middle of the night. When we got to the hospital and got checked in, the nurse checked Emily and said she was dialated to a 9 and we both knew the baby was coming very, very soon. It was close to 5:00am when Emily got her spinal block, which I guess is a quicker way to numb Emily versus an actual epidural. A few minutes later, Dr. Froerer arrived(he must have driven pretty fast too because they called him after we arrived at the hospital) and he did a little prep work to get a feel on how close we were. He asked Emily if she was ready to push and after 5 quick pushes, we had a new baby. What a contrast to what Emily went through when Eliza was born and the 3.5 hours of pushing she went through. Our little guy is such a blessing in our lives and we(mainly me) are already looking forward to the days of getting him into soocer, baseball, basketball and football. With how big he is, I am holding out for him to be a linebacker and made the joke in an email to some friends that Bronco is already wanting him to sign on for the class of 2027 at BYU. Emily and I also agreed that Jackson looks a lot like Eliza did, only not quite as chubby in the face. We will let you decide. Eliza is so excited to finally have a baby brother. Special thanks to Grandma Burton for coming to our house at 4am and then spending the day with Eliza. Also, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers through this amazing time in our life!!

Look at little Eliza on top and compare him to little Jackson on bottom.







7 comments:

shelly said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys, and that everything went well. I can't believe how fast he came! Emily, you are so brave - I can't believe you had to go through all of that labor without an epidural! He is so cute! I am just thrilled for you all!!! Yeah!!!

Our Family said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! That is such great news. I am glad you got to the hospital on time :)
He is beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

SOOOO cute!!!! Congrats you guys!! You have darling kiddos!

Courtney said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a story! Glad you made it to the hospital. Relieved that everyone is healthy. Can't wait for more pictures of your beautiful son. Wishing Em a quick recovery.

Jillian said...

YAY!!! He's so cute!! I'm SO happy that this time was all around better. Great job Emily! I'm sure the pain was awful...poor girl! Seriously so exciting! Congrats you guys!

Aubrey Garff said...

congratulations guys! Wish we could see him in person.

Amanda said...

Aw, they do look very similar! What cute kiddos you guys have! I can't wait to see him again, as soon as Michael is feeling better.