Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Dad

Today is a big day for my dad. After 35 years working for the Salt Lake City Police Department, he is retiring and today is his last day! Wow! 35 years! That is something to celebrate. Too bad most everyone he works with is off for the holidays. He's leaving without much fanfare which is probably the way he wants it.

The next step for him? Forget taking some time off to relax and enjoy the freedom. Nope. In addition to already being the Stake President, he's going back to school and starts next week! He is planning on getting a certificate to teach Special Ed. Anyone who knows my dad knows that he will be wonderful.

I am so proud of my dad. I love him. He is one of the best people I know. I have never once felt like I didn't get to spend enough time with him. Even with his busy schedule he always makes time for my mom, us kids, and the grandkids.

One of my best memories is when I went away to Snow College. I didn't have my own car so anytime I needed to come home, my dad would make the two hour drive to come pick me up and bring me home. Sometimes I felt bad that he had to drive so much but we have talked about it in the years since and we both say how special those drives were.

I could say so many things about my dad. His family loves him. The only thing better than having him as my dad is that my children get to have him as their grandpa.


I couldn't find a recent picture of Eliza and Jackson with grandpa so here's one with cousin Jared!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Hooray for Uncle Jerry/Dad! I'm so excited for him to try something new, he will be fantastic. I've always appreciated with how many kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews he always takes time to stop and check in with me when there's a get together. Congratulations to him!

Our Family said...

I really like your dad too. He and your mom were always so nice and welcoming to us when we lived by them. On a side note, I know my dad really likes him too since they know each other through work.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marci said...

Em, I only met your dad a few times but those memories are so good. You do have a great dad - always kind a giving. And he has a great daughter. There aren't many people who can cherish a relationship like that. Congrats.