Saturday, December 31, 2011

Stitches - take 2

At least it wasn't Jackson again!  The Wednesday before Christmas, I was in the kitchen making dinner when I heard a crash followed by a scream come from the living room.  Being the great mom I am, I shouted towards the living to stop jumping off things and calm down.  A minute later I turned around to see Eliza walking in the kitchen, screaming,  leaning forward with blood POURING from her forehead.  Seriously, dripping puddles on the floor.  I rushed her to the bathroom to clean it up and see how bad it was.  Thankfully it looked much worse than it really was but no question she needed stitches.  I told her we needed to go to the doctor and she started crying, "No!  I don't want stitches!!"  I guess she still remembers the trauma of holding Jackson down for 30 minutes while they stitched him up in the summer.  I got the kids in the car and took off for Instacare while trying to call Matt.  Of course that's the day his phone dies.  Ugh.  I think I called probably 40 times.  I don't know what he thought when he got home and saw dinner on the stove, blood trailing from the living room to the kitchen and us missing.  I FINALLY reached him and he met us there. Eliza was scared of what was going to happen but when it came down to doing the actual stitches, she was very brave.  She didn't cry at all.  She got two stitches in almost the same spot where Jackson got his 8 a few months ago.

So what happened was she was in the living room trying to feel what was in her stocking.  She must have tugged on it too hard because the heavy stocking holder came crashing down as she looked up.  OUCH.  We're going to forgo those next Christmas because I can already see Jackson doing it next year when he's taller.



I took her back the day after Christmas to get the stitches out.  It looks a lot better.  Hopefully it doesn't scar too much.  I've accepted the fact that Jackson will have a few scars by the time he's her age but I don't want her to have a bad one.

Santa may have gotten her an extra present for being so brave!

4 comments:

Jillian said...

I am so glad she's ok!! Brave girl! :)

Walter Family said...

Poor Eliza! I hope she's been healing up well! Seriously, those stocking holders are dangerous! We didn't put ours up this year because always end up falling and put dents in our wood floor! Looks like you had a great Christmas though!!

shelly said...

That sounds so painful! But, I have to admit that I laughed when I read the part about Matt coming home to dinner on the stove and a trail of blood in the house. Maybe he saw the stocking on the floor and figured it out! And I'm proud of you for only calling him 40 times, I think my total would have been closer to 100. :)

Our Family said...

I laughed too at the the idea of Matt coming home to the "scene"
Hopefully your house is done with stitches for awhile. She looks adorable though.